Sunday Fitness Lessons and Big Boy Birthday Party
Lets recap the key fitness lessons I learned yesterday.
1. There is a reason that most people get up early in the am to do long runs and bike rides. Waiting until 10:30 to attempt to do a 5 mile run = Bad idea. It was pushing 100 degrees and there was a strong wind. Lets just say I made it three miles… barely.
2. Don’t turn the air conditioning off while doing a run in the 100 degree heat. When you get home, you want to walk into a freezer, not a sauna.
3. Don’t do side planks you your elbows on a yoga mat on the wood floor. They are extremely painful.
4. While doing push ups after a super sweaty workout, choose a carpeted surface. This way your hands don’t slip and slide all over resulting in a face plant. Also, the pool of sweat will be absorbed by the carpet:)
5. Always wear a cool hat. They make even the most miserable workouts a little more fun.
I think I picked up this “Mean, Tough, and Sexy” hat at a work conference. Ryan says it’s embarassing. I say its awesome:)
The best part of my workout was the abs portion.
– 50 crunches
– 20 Pilates roll ups (go nice and slow!)
– 30 second side plank
– 20 reverse crunches
– 30 second side plank (other side)
– 20 side crunches (each side)
– 20 scissor crunches (Lie flat on the floor with your legs slightly above the floor. Cross you right leg over the left and then the left over the right, like scissors. That is one repetition).
After my workout I headed to Ryan’s parents for a family birthday party. I was determined to embarrass Ryan at his birthday party. I really wanted to buy him a party hat (the paper kind with the chin strap) and write “Big Boy” on it, but I couldn’t find any! I settled for a super mature balloon. Next year maybe I’ll buy a pinata.
Ryan’s mom prepared a feast! There were fajitas, nachos, and dips galore!
My plate included a beef fajita, some grilled corn, taco salad, and several helpings of spinach artichoke dip. The spinach artichoke dip was amazing. I will have to get the recipe to share.
After dinner it was present time!
Ryan was in heaven with his big bag of protein! Maybe now he will stop stealing my stash 🙂
Even though I was stuffed, I managed to save room for dessert!
Triple chocolate cake.
Red velvet cake.
Assorted cupcake from Crave Cupcakes. Even though Crave makes my favorite cupcakes, I decided to try a small slice of the chocolate and red velvet cakes instead. The cream cheese frosting was my favorite part. I will definitely be visiting Crave soon for one of their seasonal pumpkin cupcakes!
I think I am officially “caked out” after this weekend. Tonight Ryan’s birthday celebration continues… we are going to see Blink 182! I have seen them one other time and they were amazing. I hope they sing all my middle school favorites like “All the Small Things” and What’s my Age Again?”
Question: What were your favorite middle school bands? I loved Everclear, Blink 182, Backstreet Boys, and yes… Hanson.